How long will it take to migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2?
Migrating from Magento 1 to Magento 2(Adobe Commerce) can be a complex and time-consuming process, and the amount of time it takes to complete the migration will vary depending on the size and complexity of your current Magento 1 site.
Here are some of the factors that can impact the duration of the migration:
- Size of the Magento 1 site: The larger the site, the more time it will take to migrate. This includes the number of products, categories, and customers, as well as the amount of data that needs to be transferred.
- Customizations: Customizations to the Magento 1 site can also impact the migration time. Custom code and extensions need to be reviewed and, in many cases, refactored for Magento 2.
- Third-party integrations: Third-party integrations, such as payment gateways and shipping methods, will also need to be reviewed and updated for compatibility with Magento 2.
- Data migration: The process of migrating data from Magento 1 to Magento 2 is time-consuming and requires careful planning. The amount of data that needs to be transferred will also impact the duration of the migration.
- Theme Migration: depends on an existing theme on Magento 1 website and the level of custom solutions implemented.
To summarise everything we discussed let’s try to answer the question How long will it take to migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2?:
- It’s not a problem to migrate modules(extensions, plugins) because if they are not custom (developed by your Software integrator) they can be easily installed from the same vendor in 1-2 hours. If the previous Software integrator modified core files of the Vendor’s extensions it could take time to investigate what was changed. In this case, we need to have a clean copy of these modules to compare changes and separate them from the original code.
- Customizations: Well, it’s not an issue and the code could be inspected and refactored to Magento 2. It’s not a long operation because it’s just a refactoring process (rewrite from one system to another one without changing core logic)
- Data Migration it’s an interesting process. Magento has its own solution for public access – Data Migration Tool . So your team or team of certified specialists from Barwenock Company could assist with that. It’s a really fast process. Just need to have DB from Magento 1 and clean DB from Magento 2(could be created in seconds). In addition to that Data Migration tool provides ability to add data continuously from your old working Magento 1 website. In this case, you won’t lose any sales order)
On average, a basic Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete. A complex migration, with many customizations and third-party integrations, can take even longer.
It’s important to work with an experienced Magento development team to ensure a smooth and successful migration from Magento 1 to Magento 2. They can help you plan the migration, provide a timeline for the project, and help you avoid potential issues along the way.
The Team, [email protected]